Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Next Olympic Star?

Will Hannah follow my dream of becoming an Olympic gymnast?? That is still to be determined, but what can be seen is how much fun Hannah had at her first gymnastics class! I always knew that if I had a little girl I would put her in gymnastics, hoping she would totally love it. I always wanted to do gym as a kid but it was just too expensive, but now, (since I am obviously living through my child), I have the opportunity to watch Hannah enjoy it!! This might be a short lived thing, and that's ok, I just wanted to get her into an activity young, so she has the opportunity to see what she is into and what she isn't. When I asked her what she wanted to do, her first choice was soccer, which I looked into, and they don't have any leagues that aren't parent participation, until kids are 4. The next choice she made was gymnastics- which made me thrilled! She attended her free class at Tricks Gym this morning and after seeing how much she enjoyed it I think we will be signing her up and this will become a weekly thing... until she finds another activity she just has to do!

During the warm-up, she listened very well but was a little apprehensive with doing the hand motions to the songs and stuff, so she just sat quietly waiting for what she really wanted to do- the trampoline! They broke the class up into a few groups and they had the kids do circuits for about 10 minutes on each one. The first circuit, the teacher was having to help her and show her at each step. The second circuit, was the tampoline which she needed no help with. It was adorable how excited she was- when the teacher was explaining what they were to do, Hannah kept looking at friends next to her with the hugest smile on her face, it was like she was saying: "Can you believe we get to do this!!! I can't wait until my turn!". She hopped up to be the first one jumping and went to town! By the last circuit, she totally had the hang of it- except for the somersault down the triangle, she kept wanting to just lay flat on her tummy and not bend at the hips. I know she'll get it soon, but it was really cute to see her trying! She also kept looking over and Nick and I and would say: "Look, momy and daddy, I'm doing it!!" I think it's so important for her to be able to do something on her own, without our help, but have us their cheering her on! She looked so proud whenever she finished something!!
Somersaulting (with a little help) down the triangle pad.
She did awesome at the bar- the rolling pad underneath her helped her be able to swing back and forth really well!


Hahaha This was another thing she will need to work on- rolling down the triangle like a "hot dog", maybe it's because she doesn't eat hot dogs, but for some reason her rolls were all over the place! She could 've cared less though, she still had fun and by the end of class she was just scooting down this one on her tushy!
Another fave- a mini trampoline used to jump onto a taller square pad.

Then a slide down! Weeeeeeeee


Finally hop, hop, hop back to the begining of the circuit!

Next stop- picking out a cute, tiny leotard!!





No comments:

Post a Comment